Odd Jobs Day

As soon as the paint was dry in the dining I started making a mental list of all the other things that needed our attention.  I expect this is a worrying sign that the house is taking over!  So on Sunday we started the list hopeful to plough our way through it that day.  At the end of Monday this is where we’ve got to so far.

To do list Things we have put off list:

  • Hang up bathroom mirror
  • Complete bathroom floor (tricky cutting of the laminate needed to fit around the sink and toilet)
  • Fit bedroom blind within window frame to block light
  • Make roman blind for dining room
  • Paint wardrobe doors
  • Paint wooden pelmets above windows (living, bedroom, dining room)

Donald was in charge of the bathroom floor as cutting with a jigsaw is beyond me.  It was a frustrating job but the room looks great now it’s completed.  The floor had never been completed because initially we thought we wanted to replace the bath suite and it would be better to lay the floor around the new sink and toilet.  However as so many people have said before living in a house changes your ideas.  We grew really like having a big old sink and a deep bath and now it will probably be one of the last rooms we change.  So it is important to finish the flooring so the room looks complete.

I tackled all the painting on Sunday and the wardrobe doors look so much better.  We also ordered engineered oak flooring for the living room, dining room and hall plus doors for all rooms.  Wickes had a great offer on flooring so we thought we should go for it and it can wait in the garage until we’re ready to fit it.

Friday Feeling

On Friday the final part of the wardrobe was completed – doors on and surround nailed in place.

Jerry and Donald hang the doors

Four doors in place and ready for the surround

Four doors in place and ready for the surround

 

100_1861

 

Next steps…wardrobe

100_1849

Progress so far (Thursday)

Jerry builds the frame

Jerry builds the frame

With the walls done by Tuesday it was time to begin on the main project building the wardrobe and over to my step dad Jerry. I’ve been helping where I can and asking lots of questions so I know what to do for further projects. Firstly we made a wooden frame for the plasterboard exterior of the wardrobe.

Fitting this was a little bit challenging with neither the walls or the floor being even.  With the plasterboard in place it was time for more filling and sanding.

100_1831

Donald helps out after work

Next, on Wednesday, Jerry built the middle section with shelves and baskets for storage. Then this was attached and wood screwed in either side to support a large shelf above and the two hanging rails.

Jerry fitting the frame for the doors.

Jerry fitting the frame for the doors.

Finally we built a frame for the doors to be fitted on to and put in place. Hopefully tomorrow we’ll fit the doors and add the finishing surround.