Mad Men Challenge – I’m in!

This is exciting news.  I saw the posts from last year’s challenge and as a fan of the show I couldn’t resist taking part this year.  The deadline is April 1st so it will be a challenge as it is during term time but I’m going to try.

I want to pick something from Season 6 that I’ve just watched so looking at 2 possible dresses at the moment.

  1. Peggy’s dress from the award ceremony in episode 5 which I think I might be able to adapt the anna/ charlotte dress as made by Roisin on the Dolly Clackett blog here.
  2. Sylvia’s dress from a dinner party at Don and Meghan’s in episode 2?

What do you think?  Who is going to take on the mad men challenge this year?

Advertisements

Georgia Sewalong begins

Georgia-By-Hand-London-199-copy-2

January is definitely needing some fun so I’m glad to have the sewalong to drive me on with my first sewing project of 2014.

Luckily I had the fabric ordered when I discovered the sewalong so I have it all cut out and ready.  Here’s hoping this head start will help me stay on schedule.

WP_20140127_002

The main fabric is a royal blue jacquard from Fabric Godmother

The grey blue lining is from Ditto Fabrics

I’m planning to go for knee length with the wider straps. Let’s get started!

Charlotte and sewing again

Sewing came to a halt with a new school year but in the October holidays I managed to get back in it.  The charlotte skirt pattern by Hand London was a great pattern to get back me into sewing.  It fits perfectly and the instructions were so simple to follow.

100_2196

I needed to cut a few inches off the length and maybe need a little more just to make it easier to move in.  I’m not used to pencil skirts but I love the shape they create. I now need to think of what tops to wear with it I’m guessing some fine knits or a plain sorbetto top might work.

The next project is another sorbetto in a black floral print which I cut out last night.  I’ve setup a sewing area in the dining room to make it easier to sew in the evenings and still be around for the puppy!

Hopefully there will be another finished project to share soon.

Roman Blind

After reading instructions for creating a roman blind I was losing hope that I could make one successfully for our large windows.  At 2 metres 36 cm wide it seemed simply too large and I read lots of warnings that said a blind over 6ft would simply be too heavy to be supported.  Searching again I found Craft Interrupted’s post using mini-blinds (vinyl) and I thought the mechanism is all designed to support the weight of the blind it’s got to be worth a try!

The post is very clear with many step by step photographs so, with the tablet perched on my sewing table, I began.  Preparing the fabric was easy and the hint to use posterboard or thick paper in the side seams worked a treat.  Next you need dismantle the blind which I did happily.  Then several slats (in this case 4) are marked out, rethreaded and glued into position on the fabric.  Finally the bottom bar is reattached and fabric glued to the top mechanism.

With fingers crossed we screwed the blind back in place and glued the fabric to top bar and it works!  It adds a lovely soft light to the room and fits the window perfectly.