Sunday’s project – Recover the dining chairs

Sunday's project - Recover the dining chairs

Fun red print fabric with apple trees.

I love the variety of the print design there are lots of little details to spot – fallen apples and birds nesting in the trees.

Sewing sorbettos

After seeing so many versions of the Colette Sorbetto top online I was eager to try it myself.  A free pattern that only needs a metre of fabric what’s not to like?

 

Colette Sorbetto1a

 

Colette Sorbetto1

 

It was pretty simple to put together but I am hopeless at making bias tape.  On both tops it was third time lucky.  I just couldn’t seem to follow the instructions.

The first one I made in a flowery blue print was way shorter than I’d normally wear so when I started on the second top I added 2 inches to the bottom.

Colette Sorbetto 2a

Colette Sorbetto2                 Red print

The red fabric is lovely and light but so slippery.  I’ve never sewn with anything except cotton so cutting out was a bit tricky!

I did some searching online and found that paper between the fabric could stop it slithering about and it worked a treat.

Summer sewing

Hazel in white print

Hazel in white print

My third dress is complete!  A summer sewing has been great fun.  I have 3 dresses I love thanks to Colette patterns. These two dresses are Hazel dresses.  A simple, strappy, summer dress that is easy to dress up with heels or down with a denim jacket.

Fabric: Vintage Feather Green bought from Guthrie & Ghani

Hazel in blue flower print

Hazel in blue flower print

Fabric:  Flora Cotton – Blue bought from Fabric Godmother

Peony in pink

Peony in pink

I struggled more with Peony dress it might be because it was my first dress but I found it difficult to get the fit right.  The belt though I love and would use for other dresses.

Fabric: Klona Cotton (Rose) and Vine and Leaf (Lilac) bought from Backstitch  

Sewing firsts:

  • Invisible zips
  • Easing in sleeves
  • Gathering stitches

Fabric Friday

100_1915     100_1917

The fabric for the blind has arrived! A lovely, simple geometric pattern from the 2wenty Thr3e range. But as you can see my sewing machine is already in use finishing a little summer dress. Hopefully I’ll finish it today and post the results later. This is the third dress sewn this summer and I finally feel I’m getting the hanging of the sewing machine. Roman blinds though… I’m a little nervous to be starting them.

My mum and Granny came over yesterday to see how the decorating was going and it lovely to be able to sit down in the dining room with the painting all complete.

100_1912

Sewing success

I’ve taken up sewing again. I tried multiple times but I lack the patience to get most things finished. What spurs me on is my Granny’s beautiful fifties Singer sewing machine which sits in pride of place on my crafting table…waiting.

Today though I tried a brand new technique, putting in an invisible zipper, and it worked. It was trial on a cushion before attempting to add one into the bigger project of a dress. The cushion is made from simple, heavy grey fabric from Ikea and printable fabric with an old map of New Zealand as a centre panel.

 

 

Zip (hopefully only seen by its tag)

Sewing success at last!