One year on

Well this post is a little late as we got the keys on 5th August last year. It was a whirlwind summer we got married on 7th July then we only had a week following our honeymoon to pack up and move. Then we had a week before school started.

This year has been fantastic. We love this house and whilst it takes some much time and work to decorate I wouldn’t change it. We’re slowly working our way through the house. So here’s where we are one year on.

First off through the front door there is the hall. It is still waiting for an update and definitely needs more storage!

Then the hallway leads into the living room.

100_2059

Living room we’ve done walls but looking forward to getting the new flooring and sofas in place.

100_2061

Dining room is looking a lot smarter with painted walls and new blind.

100_2062100_2063100_2064

Kitchen with new flooring, dishwasher and red accessories to add some colour.

100_2066

I love the long window above the sink.

Then upstairs first off the yellow bathroom.

100_2022100_2025100_2024

100_2048

Then the guestroom (also home to all my crafting stuff and Donald’s guitars!)

I setup the guitars and records cover frames as a present for Donald’s birthday so I couldn’t resist putting a birthday message in the frames.

100_2017 100_2016

100_2018 100_2019

Finally Donald’s office (formerly my craft room).  Donald is working at home regularly now so we’re very grateful for all the storage space in this Ikea desk.

100_2049 100_2050

Friday Feeling

On Friday the final part of the wardrobe was completed – doors on and surround nailed in place.

Jerry and Donald hang the doors

Four doors in place and ready for the surround

Four doors in place and ready for the surround

 

100_1861

 

Next steps…wardrobe

100_1849

Progress so far (Thursday)

Jerry builds the frame

Jerry builds the frame

With the walls done by Tuesday it was time to begin on the main project building the wardrobe and over to my step dad Jerry. I’ve been helping where I can and asking lots of questions so I know what to do for further projects. Firstly we made a wooden frame for the plasterboard exterior of the wardrobe.

Fitting this was a little bit challenging with neither the walls or the floor being even.  With the plasterboard in place it was time for more filling and sanding.

100_1831

Donald helps out after work

Next, on Wednesday, Jerry built the middle section with shelves and baskets for storage. Then this was attached and wood screwed in either side to support a large shelf above and the two hanging rails.

Jerry fitting the frame for the doors.

Jerry fitting the frame for the doors.

Finally we built a frame for the doors to be fitted on to and put in place. Hopefully tomorrow we’ll fit the doors and add the finishing surround.

Blue Sky Bedroom

100_1854

Another holiday and another project, continuing the war against woodchip, we have started work on the bedroom. With everything decamped to the spare room last week I started wallpaper stripping and filling.  The ceiling was approached with hesitation at the weekend. We tried two new things which worked quite well. Firstly we scored with a craft knife and stripped the paper in sections working as a team. Then after filling any big cracks we used flexible ceiling paint (from Wickes) which is thick enough to fill small cracks but can still be applied with a roller. Result a much smoother look with a lot less stress than skimming!

We’d nearly forgotten the colour of blue we’d chosen for the bedroom about 9 months ago in a half price offer. It is a lovely, calm blue that changes with the light.

After painting we got the bed back into place and it was crying out for some decoration.  So far I’ve painted the birch photo frame that sat above the bed white to match the bed.  However I’m planning to also add fabric covered panels into the recesses in the headboard to add interest.  Plan is to use this Ikea fabric but I was tempted to use a green to try and match with the carpet.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/20245978/